Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Life as a Teenage Vampire




Title: Life as a Teenage Vampire
Author: Amanda Meuwissen
Genre: YA M/M Paranormal Romance
The last thing Emery expected at the end of his senior year of high school was to become a vampire and fall in love with his best friend… Emery Mavus just wants to survive his senior year of high school. Becoming a vampire complicates things. So does a bizarre mentor, a group of vampire hunters, and an unexpected, new attraction for his openly gay best friend, Connor. An occasional uncontrollable hunger for blood might be the least of his worries.

Author Bio


Amanda has a Bachelor of Arts in a personally designed major from St. Olaf College in Creative Writing, and has been posting content online for many years, including maintaining the blog for the digital marketing company Outsell. She spent a summer writing screenplay script coverages for a company in L.A., and is an avid consumer of fiction through film, prose, and video games. Amanda lives in Minneapolis, MN, with her husband, John, and their cats, Helga and Sasha (no connection to the incubus of the same name).

Links

 Book Excerpt

Mr. Leonard was menacing in a way I’d never seen before, larger somehow too, like a predator. But his blank expression was what scared me.
“If I had contacted him the moment Mallory died, he might have made it in time, but he won’t arrive before the hunters do.  He told me not to do anything foolish, but if I do nothing, I’ll die, the hunters will leave, and the trail will run cold. Mallory will never get justice.”
His voice floated around me like an echo, his eyes too bright.
“He told me to run if they came, but that is something I cannot do. I know you can’t help me fight them, Emery, but you can give them a reason to stay, give Alec time to discover the truth.”
“Alec?” My back hit the wall and I gasped. He had me cornered.
“My Maker, my friend. He can ensure they pay for their crimes. But if I don’t give them a reason to stay in town, he’ll be too late.”
I had no idea what he was talking about. If he had more emotion in his voice I’d worry he was delirious, but he sounded so even, so certain. The twist in my gut nearly doubled me over, and I held out a hand to keep him from getting closer. “Mr. Leonard—”
“Hush, Emery.”
I made to push him away, but in that same moment, the fear that had crept under my skin feeling like it might burst out my pores, lessened. Everything about Mr. Leonard seemed different. He didn’t move. His expression didn’t change. It was the air around him, the atoms buzzing, something intangible that shifted. His eyes were mesmerizing, and as I returned his stare, all the anxiety in my stomach washed away. I felt warm, but not uncomfortably so, more like I was snuggling up for an afternoon nap.
My hand dropped.
“I am so sorry, Emery. I have no other choice.”
I didn’t see him move. He was there, standing in front of me, and then he wasn’t. Instead, the curve of his shoulder was in front of my face, and a sharp pain in my neck tore the air from my lungs, like he’d struck me with a knife or a needle. But the pain faded almost instantly, and the tight pressure felt almost soothing.
I sagged against the wall, seeing only the dark blue of Mr. Leonard’s shoulder, the hazy background of the sofa and fireplace fading in color until there was nothing but calming darkness.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the stop along this fantastic tour to help promote my new title. This book has a truly special place in my heart with its nods to my own teenage years, my favorite creatures of the night - vampires, and some twists and turns that definitely make this different than the usual YA paranormal romance. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete